Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Miss America Week


So if you know anything about me at all, you probably know that I have done beauty pageants pretty much my entire life. I grew up watching Miss America dreaming of one day walking the runway while hearing Bert Parks singing "There She is Miss America...." (Every little girl can dream ,right?) Well I never won the opportunity to go to Miss America but oh boy did I come close. In 2006 I was 3rd runner up and well Shilah (who was Miss Texas) and was 1st runner up to Miss America, if she would have won Miss America I would have become Miss Texas....how amazing would that have been? Well as I sit here now as a 26 year old, mother and wife I realize life isn't always about pageants, but I can tell you being in pageants sure has taught me alot about life, even about being a mother and a wife.
I now have a little girl who is on her way to being Miss America (or so I hope) she has won her first pageant, but who knows she might turn 5 and realize she wants to play soccer. (LORD HELP US)
I miss the days when Miss America was an icon, someone you saw dressed in a business suit, with hair and make up perfect, spoke extrememly eloquent and she represented that Goodness of America, I'm not saying Miss America isn't the best now,  but when you wear a dress that you would wear to a holiday party into interivew, no longer really having a platform that YOU promote, cutting talent to 90 seconds, and usually the swimsuit winner is the SKINNEST girl there not the girl that is the most fit. Man oh Man how times have changed. I wonder what it will be like when Madison is old enough to compete, or will Miss America even be around????
I will leave you with some photos of when I competed :) I sure miss it, but I wouldnt take what I have now away for anything in the world!!!!!!!!

PS MIss America is this SATURDAY! GO TEXAS GO!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading your post. I didn't know you had a blog! I do too. I started it when I was pregnant with Kate so that all my family in CHicago could keep in touch! SOOOO true with all you wrote about Miss America. It just doesn't seem like the way it used to be! I miss the "old" Miss America! But pageant days sure was fun for me too! And I only competed for 3 years, so I can't imagine growing up in it! You are beautiful! And isn't it true that once you have a baby, the pageants seem so small compared to the awesome responsibility of raising a little girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete